In charting your career path, you ought to develop ‘allies’ within the organization. Allies are few trusted inner-circled associates in strategic position within several departments whom you nurture over the moons.
These allies will lend you some unparalleled advices, vital inside information, and specific do’s & don’ts.I will not named it as an office politic though. It is more of your own ‘diplomatic-envoys’ in managing your long term career.
However, please note that allies may be a double-edge sword. Just like mutual protection alliance between sovereign countries, you do not want your allies to be your liability, one way or another. Thus, few golden rules to be observed:
- Your chosen one must share a common goal as far as career is concerned. Verified their past career movement. Understand their motives. You do not want to choose your potential rivals.
- Choose your allies carefully. Never put your trust blindly. Spread it out well within the organization. Never put all your eggs in a basket.
- Prefer allies with high potential in moving to higher level. Higher level is a relative connotation. Do not exclude driver, tea-lady, secretary, committee from sports & recreation or Khairat Kematian etc.
- Allies must be at least a proven average performer within the organization. Nobody wants to be associated with the pariahs
- Allies must enjoy sufficient amount of “visibility” in the eyes of senior management level. I will explain more on visibility in different blog entry
- Always have a safe and sound escape plan to get out from the alliance. Watch survivor or apprentice series to learn more
Support your allies well and make them oblige to return your favor – when you need it. When the time is ready, use your allies as wild card. Be it a promotion, transfer, bonus payment, special assignment, etc whatever your interest serves you.
Believe me, in a rat race, you must work hard to climb the corporate ladder. It would be even faster if someone push you up as well.